For 2 people
* 2 small duck breasts
* 4 tsp five-spice powder
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
* 2 tbsp clear honey
* 6 tbsp soy sauce
For the noodles
* 4 spring onions
* 1 packet oriental-style egg noodles (2 squares of dried noodles)
* sesame seeds, to taste
* toasted sesame oil, to taste
* squeeze fresh lime juice
* Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
* With a sharp knife, score the fat of the duck into a cross-hatch
* Sprinkle the five-spice powder onto the skin of the duck breasts and rub it into the fat well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
* Heat a heavy-based ovenproof frying pan. Don’t add oil. Place the duck breasts skin-side down in the hot pan. Season the other side with five-spice powder and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until most of the fat has run out into the pan and the skin has a golden colour (about three minutes).
* Turn the duck breasts over and cook the other side for a minute or so.
* Place the duck breasts in the oven for 3-5 minutes to finish.
* To make the sauce, warm the honey and soy sauce together in a small pan. Bring up to boiling point and let it bubble for a minute or two to reduce. Take off the heat and allow to cool. The sauce should have a syrup-like consistency.
* Remove the cooked duck breasts from the oven and leave to rest in a warm place.
* While the duck is resting, heat a medium pan of salted water for the noodles.
* Meanwhile, cut the white and green parts of the spring onions into slices on the diagonal.
* When the water is boiling, add the egg noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes or according to packet instructions.
* Drain the noodles and place them in a bowl. Sprinkle in the sesame seeds, drizzle with a few drops of sesame oil and sprinkle with cut spring onions, reserving some for the garnish. Stir together well.
* To serve, place the noodles onto a plate. Squeeze over a bit of lime juice. Slice the duck breasts into strips and place next to the noodles. Sprinkle over the remaining spring onion and drizzle over the honey and soy sauce.